In recent years, there has been an uptick in programs encouraging women to change their perception of the trades. These new and expanded strategies are an effort to help women see what was once a male-dominated industry as a viable career option. We explore the changing landscape of the building trades in this series – while also celebrating some of the talented women who began their careers at NBSS and are making an impact in their fields.
Our Carpentry program encourages a commitment to excellence and a mastery of the craft. In 36 weeks, you’ll be able to jump-start your carpentry career and earn a return on your educational investment. Our small class sizes give you plenty of one-on-one time with your instructors, who are master carpenters.
In this program, you’ll learn how to construct and renovate residential and commercial buildings. You’ll use hand tools and machines, and learn the different practices of current and emerging industry standards. You’ll experience the importance of working together safely and efficiently on building sites to meet your clients’ needs.
Our Carpentry facilities are well-suited for lectures, benchwork, and small building projects. In addition, you’ll work off-site on construction that may include house additions, garages, or similar projects.
- Curriculum: Investigate what students learn over the course of the nine-month program.
- Facilities: Virtually walk through the program space and bench room.
- Faculty: Meet our talented instructors, who are experts in their field.
- Tuition: Check out tuition, costs, class hours, schedule, and program length.
- Careers: Explore careers available to Carpentry graduates and the employment outlook.
- Profiles: Read about our alumni, including how an education at NBSS opened doors for them.
- Carpentry program brochure: Download at-a-glance details.
Admissions, Financial Aid, and Employment Information
- Admissions Info: How to get your application started and what you need to apply.
- Financial Aid: We're dedicated to helping you afford the cost of your education. Learn about our financial aid options.
- Gainful Employment Disclosure: View the Carpentry report here.
- ACCSC Graduate & Employment Data: View the 2018 Report here.
"I felt carpentry and the comprehensive and specialized training at NBSS would be a springboard for me to become a master at my new trade."
Philip Benevides CA '13View More Carpentry Alumni Profiles
Before becoming enrolling in the NBSS Carpentry program, Michelle Her CA '18 worked as a United States Navy Seabee (Naval Construction Force), building gun ranges, warehouses, schools, and pavilions. Today, Michelle works as a carpenter for Columbia Contracting, performing the majority of her work in greater Boston. Meet another tradeswoman featured in our Women in the Building Trades series.
Woodworking Network featured NBSS in an article in the July 2019 issue of FDMC Magazine. They highlighted the work of two recent graduates, Abbie Smith CF '19, a US Marine Corps veteran, and Diego Rojas CA '17, PC '19, a first-generation American, as well as NBSS President Sarah Turner. Read the full article here.
Have you ever noticed a team craning up a Christmas tree to place on top of a nearly-finished building? Perhaps you've driven under a recently refurbished bridge and spied a large wreath at the top of its massive arch. In each case, this practice is part of a long history of builder's rituals dating back thousands of years.
When someone says it's time to raise the roof, it usually signals a celebration. But when a client asked Carpentry Department Head Brian Vogt PC '94 to raise the roof on a structure earlier this year, he knew any plans for party music would have to wait. An atypical project with some special elements yielded a fruitful off-site learning project for the students – and a pleased property owner.
Carpentry built on its success thanks to the creation of the new Partners in Craft: Designers, Builders & Architects Scholarship. "The School preserves the notion of craft and making, as does our company. We've come to see NBSS not just as a resource but also as a kindred spirit," says donor Kochman Reidt + Haigh Cabinetmakers.