Jobs & Commissions Board
Work with the best. North Bennet Street School graduates are trained to produce the highest quality work and are committed to excellence in their craft.
Every year, we receive hundreds of requests from those seeking to hire or commission our students/alumni. The diversity of jobs and projects spans a full range of disciplines, including:
- Employing someone full- or part-time for a business, nonprofit, agency, or organization
- Constructing a garage, renovating a space, or adding to a home
- Creating, repairing, or restoring furniture, books, jewelry, musical instruments, and more
- Preserving a historic structure or crafting a structure using historic techniques
- Tuning, repairing, or restoring pianos
As a service to individuals and organizations, we offer unique access to our talented community. Select the appropriate item below to get started, or check out our new Alumni Business Directory for more.
If you would like to inquire about donating an in-kind gift of items or materials to the School, please fill out this form.
- Post a Job (employers only)
- Seek a Single Commission (most common)
- Submit a Carpentry Project
- Request Preservation Carpentry Work
- Request Piano Tuning or Repairs
Commissions are one-off projects from individuals that span the full range of our program disciplines. These include, but are not limited to, the following services:
- Make, restore, or repair a piece of furniture or millwork
- Make, restore, or repair jewelry or precious metalwork
- Make, restore, or repair a stringed musical instrument (violins, violas, etc)
- Make, restore, or repair a document or bound book
DISCLAIMER: By requesting this Commission, you understand that all commissions are proposed and performed independent of North Bennet Street School (NBSS). Work is not performed under any NBSS supervision, and we do not screen respondents on their ability to perform the requested work. While we hold students and alumni to the highest standards, we cannot be held liable for any work performed or not performed as part of this Commission request.
Our Carpentry program works with home owners and architects to build residential projects in the Boston area. Clients receive superior work from students and master carpenter instructors for the cost of materials plus a modest day rate. Successful projects include additions, garages, and small houses.
SELECTION OF PROJECTS
In order to facilitate the training, carpentry projects are chosen on the basis of their educational value, the variety of work, and suitability for an entire class to work safely. Suitable jobs are big enough to keep 13 to 26 students busy and of a scope that insures completion within class time. In general, we are interested in additions, garages, and large outbuildings. Typical projects are less than one hour driving distance from Boston and have design drawings and permits.
Once a project has been selected, NBSS provides an approximate starting date. However, since our objective is to provide a teaching and learning situation, we can not guarantee either an exact starting date or completion date. This is the trade off for the substantially lower labor cost in these projects.
The instructor is responsible for supervising students, providing schedules for materials and other subcontractors and insuring that carpentry work is done according to plans provided by the client and approved by the town building department. The class does not undertake electrical, plumbing, plastering, masonry, concrete, heating, painting or any other work not related directly to subjects outlined in the course curriculum.
- All drawings and plans necessary for the permit.
- Obtaining all permits for the job.
- Daily service charge to NBSS for transportation and maintenance of tools.
- Being available in person or by phone during construction on site.
- Providing all materials on a timely basis.
- Hiring other trades people necessary for the completion of work, e.g. foundation work.
- Available phone, toilet facilities, and parking.
- Providing secure storage of tools and equipment, and payment for loss of tools from the site.
- Review of insurance coverage for any injuries sustained at the site. (NBSS will provide insurance certificate upon request.)
Note: This form is to request large-scale Carpentry work to be performed by 13-26 students in the program as part of their curriculum. If you are an individual seeking someone to take on a smaller-scale project in your home or business, please use the "Seek a Single Commission" form above.
DISCLAIMER: By requesting this Carpentry Project, you understand that the selection of projects is solely the responsibility of North Bennet Street School (NBSS) staff and faculty. All selected projects will be performed by NBSS students under the supervision of NBSS faculty. Should your project be selected, we cannot guarantee either an exact starting date or completion date. Project schedules and the ability of the NBSS Carpentry class to perform work are dependent upon your completion of Client responsibilities in a comprehensive and timely manner.
Our Preservation Carpentry program has worked on historic structures throughout New England, producing historic millwork and interior finish carpentry for traditional buildings. Projects have included the 1713 Old State House in Boston, the 1859 Eustis Street Firehouse, the 1896 First Parish Church, the 1881 Charles Loring House, and the 1796 Fowler Clark Farm.
Note: This form is to request large-scale Preservation Carpentry work to be performed by about 13 students in the program as part of their curriculum. If you are an individual seeking someone to repair/restore an object, or have a smaller-scale project in your home, please use the "Seek a Single Commission" form above.
DISCLAIMER: By requesting this Preservation Carpentry Project, you understand that the selection of projects is solely the responsibility of North Bennet Street School (NBSS) staff and faculty. All selected projects will be performed by NBSS students under the supervision of NBSS faculty. Should your project be selected, we cannot guarantee either an exact starting date or completion date. Project schedules and the ability of the NBSS Preservation Carpentry class to perform work are dependent upon your completion of Client responsibilities in a comprehensive and timely manner.
Contact Bryan McGrath, Director of Student Life & Career Services, at email@example.com.