NBSS has a long history of working with veterans to educate them for careers in traditional trades and fine craftsmanship. Since 1920, we have embraced America’s military service members and their families, helping them to achieve meaningful lives and livelihoods.
As a veteran, you’ll be in good company here at NBSS. A large portion of our alumni, and nearly 20% of the School's student body have served in the military. Qualities that military training sharpens—commitment, organization, self-motivation, and self-reliance—are helpful in the immersive training environment at NBSS.
Veterans Benefits & Financial Aid
- Apply for benefits with the Veterans Administration here, by calling the VA at 888-442-4551, or in person with your Regional Office. Then email your "Certificate of Eligibility" form to Jamie Dergay at email@example.com, our School Certifying Official (SCO).
- Complete the FAFSA application. Use school code 015527.
- NBSS Scholarship consideration is automatic once you have completed the FAFSA. This includes the NBSS Institutional Scholarship, NBSS Yellow Ribbon, and more.
- Finish your Admissions Requirements. Aid packages are only provided once accepted.
- Search for private scholarships. Review this list of over 40 possible sources.
The NBSS Yellow Ribbon Program
To honor your service to our country, we are proud to offer the NBSS Yellow Ribbon Scholarship to all veterans enrolling in one of our full-time programs. These funds may be used to cover tuition and all other qualified educational expenses, including tools, supplies and living expenses. Please contact the NBSS Financial Aid Office for details. NBSS encourages all veterans to apply for financial aid by completing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the current year of enrollment and an NBSS Financial Aid Application. We thank you for your service!
(GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website).Our Full-Time programs (not the Three-Month course) qualify for veterans' educational benefits through Vocational and Rehabilitation Benefits, Chapter 31. Current annual maximum benefit level for the G.I. Bill is $22,805, with a $2,922/month housing allowance based on the School's geographic location. Check your benefit eligibility status by calling the VA at 888-442-4551.
In addition to resources made available to all students of the School, our Student Veterans Organization (NBSS SVO) provides personal and professional assistance, direction, and support for a successful transition from military to student life, and employment beyond NBSS.
The School has established relationships with Veterans Affairs, the Wounded Warrior Project, The City of Boston Department of Veteran Services, The New England Center for Homeless Veterans, the Red Sox Foundation, MGH Home Base Program, Veterans Upward Bound, and The Boston Vet Center.
Carpentry graduate and Army veteran Khounchai Linlavong CA '17 gave a moving speech describing his road to recovery and how his time at NBSS changed his life. Watch the video of his speech here.