NBSS is a non-profit institution that offers a welcoming and collaborative environment in Boston's North End. We're small but ambitious, supporting the School's mission to help students achieve meaningful lives and livelihoods.
One of nation’s oldest schools for hands-on training in traditional trades and fine craftsmanship, NBSS is internationally known for its programs that help students to achieve meaningful lives and livelihoods. For more than a century, the exceptional programs, master faculty, and inspiring community have encouraged individual growth, curiosity, technical mastery, and commitment to excellence.
As we build on the School’s legacy of fine craftsmanship, we seek positive, dynamic individuals who share our dedication to innovation, excellence, and superior customer service.
View open positions below.
Posted: September 1, 2021
North Bennet Street School is seeking Freelance Writers eager to develop compelling stories that highlight our talented community and champion our important work.
We're looking for creative, passionate people who are able to capture our institution's voice and who will produce meaningful, relevant stories across multiple channels and publications. For a sampling of content, please check out nbss.edu/blog.
NBSS offers a creative and collegial environment that's small but ambitious. Your work will support our mission to help students achieve meaningful lives and careers.
- With editorial direction provided, develop stories and content that highlight the School's program offerings and demonstrate its leadership in craft and trade education.
- Conduct interviews with senior staff, donors, alumni, employers, and students.
- Pitch new story/content ideas that may be relevant to the School's broad audience.
- Adjust style/format of copy as needed, based on editorial feedback and performance data.
- Maintain the quality, consistency, and innovation of copy within publications, websites, blog posts, emails, and other communications.
- Attend editorial meetings at the School—by phone or in-person—and provide regular updates on progress via email.
- A strong portfolio of written work.
- Excellent communication, writing, and project management skills.
- Attention to detail, including producing the highest quality work that follows editorial guidelines and rules for punctuation, grammar, spelling, etc.
- Ability to prioritize workload, handle tasks, and meet deadlines.
- Familiarity with SEO, keywords, and other aspects of inbound marketing a plus.
Freelance Writers will be hired on a per-project basis. Those interested should email a cover letter, resume, and two examples of written work to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Freelance Writer position" in the subject line. Please include your rate in the cover letter. We'll begin interviewing candidates immediately. No phone calls please.