Graduates of our Carpentry program enjoy careers like residential remodeling, contractor work, project management, and many others. Some of the jobs our graduates have held include:
- Lead carpenter for high-end remodeling and cabinetmaking business
- Finish carpenter for a large contractor
- Job supervisor for high-end renovator/remodeler
- Assistant project manager at a commercial construction company
- Owner of a residential remodeling company
- Carpenter for the State of Massachusetts
The following information is from the U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics:
Carpenters work throughout the country in almost every community and make up the second largest building trades occupation. Usually, employees with previous classroom training start at a higher level than those without training. Some carpenters change employers each time they finish a project. Others alternate between working for a contractor and working independently.
Carpenters held about 945,400 jobs in 2014.
- About 30% of all carpenters were self-employed.
- 20% worked in residential building construction.
- 12% worked in nonresidential building construction.
- 11% worked as finishing contractors.
Employment is expected to increase by 6% during the 2014–24 decade, stimulated by:
- Population growth to meet people’s housing and other basic needs
- Energy conservation, particularly in the industrial sector
- Home remodeling
- Construction and repair of roads and bridges, financed by the Federal and State governments.
Job opportunities will be good for those with the most training and skills. Carpenters with specialized or all-around skills will have better opportunities than those who can perform only a few simple, routine tasks.
For more information, see the U.S. Department of Labor statistics for Carpentry.
SALARY AND WAGE DATA
According to Payscale, the median annual salary for carpenters was $43,736 in 2016. The median hourly rate was $19. The following averages are for specific carpentry-related jobs in 2016:
- Journeyman Carpenter - Median annual salary: $48,904 | Median hourly wage: $24.
- Lead Carpenter – Median annual salary: $49,569 | Median hourly wage: $22
- Assistant Project Manager – Median annual salary: $54,205 | Median hourly wage: $17
- Carpenter Foreman – Median annual salary: $56,791 | Median hourly wage: $24
- Construction Foreman – Median annual salary: $54,701 | Median hourly wage: $21
- Construction Laborer – Median annual salary: $38,576 | Median hourly wage: $14
- Finish Carpenter – Median annual salary: $43,065 | Median hourly wage: $20
- Handyman – Median annual salary: $39,694 | Median hourly wage: $20