North Bennet Street School is a unique educational environment where the learning comes from doing and the hands engage the mind. At the heart of the school are eight full-time programs complemented by continuing-education workshops and lectures, and partnerships with other cultural and educational institutions.
The school was founded in 1881 and incorporated in 1885. Read more about the history of the school here.
The mission of North Bennet Street School is to train students for careers in traditional trades that use hand skills in concert with evolving technology to preserve and advance craft traditions and to promote greater appreciation of craftsmanship.
- 8 full-time programs. Learn more about full-time programs here.
- Student/faculty ratio < 13:1
- 18 faculty members with a combined NBSS teaching tenure of over 217 years. The median tenure of the faculty is 10 years and the average tenure is 12 years. Read faculty profiles here.
- 150 students
- Students range in age from 18 - 60
- 58% of students are from Massachusetts (2012-2013 school year)
- 41% from other states (2012-2013 school year)
- 10 international students (2012-2013 school year)
- Inquiries from individuals interested in attending NBSS come mainly through the website from individuals near and far. In one recent year, 1121 inquiries from Massachusetts, 1263 from other US states and 66 international.
RETENTION AND GRADUATION
- Retention rate >95%
- Graduation rate >85%
- Employment rate > 85%
$200,000 in school scholarship aid provided to students in the 2012-2013 academic year
- Dozens of workshops, short courses and weekend intensive classes are offered annually for beginners and professionals
- Workshop faculty are master craftsman trained in the NBSS tradition
- More than 600 individuals participate in workshops each year. Workshop students come from Boston-area communities and from across the country to participate in one-day to three-month courses.
- Learn more about continuing education programs here.
The school has space in three facilities. The main facility in the North End in Boston has been in continuous use by NBSS since 1881. A second facility in Arlington, Massachusetts houses the Carpentry and Preservation Carpentry programs and a light-filled space in South Boston is home to the Locksmithing and Security Technology program.
Board of Directors, board of overseers and program advisors
The 25-member Board of Directors includes business and cultural leaders and NBSS alumni. A diverse Committee of Overseers joins the directors in leading and advising the school. Professionals in the field participate as program advisors for the eight full-time programs.
In addition to this website, NBSS publishes a monthly electronic newsletter, a bi-annual print newsletter and an annual report. The school has a facebook page and a twitter account. Students and faculty blog about their experiences at the school. Join our mailing list.
Hiring a student or Graduate
Employers interested in hiring a graduate of North Bennet Street School are encouraged to post their job on the school's job board. Details and the job listing form are online here. Individuals interested in hiring a student or graduate to do a single project or commission, should complete the online commission form. Details on the process and the form are online here.
the wider community
In addition to current students and faculty, the school boasts an active alumni network and a strong community of donors and supporters. Partnerships with local colleges and cultural organizations enrich our programs. We welcome everyone to join us as makers and/or supporters of traditional crafts. For more information on getting involved, visit the Friends/Donors page.
Jobs at NBSS
Current positions are posted on the jobs page.
Monday - Friday, 7:00 am - 5:00 pm
The school is open some weekday evenings and during the weekend for workshop students only. Click here for the gallery/store hours.
Visiting the school
Public transportation, driving directions and parking information is found here.
North Bennet Street School
39 North Bennet Street
Boston MA 02113
For a complete staff directory, click here.